Friday, April 10, 2009

Trainstop by Barbara Lehman


I would pick out a wordless book by accident. I knew when I saw the cover of Trainstop that something looked familiar. The second I opened the book, I realized that it was illustrated by the same woman who illustrated the wordless picture book, The Red Book. The main character looked so similar to the girl from The Red Book that I imagined it being the same young girl. She has just found herself in a new adventure in this story.

The young girl gets on a train and, when all of the other passengers are asleep, she sneaks off the train into a new world. My favorite part of the book, though, was when the girl was sitting on the train watching the landscape pass by outside her window. It brought me back to one train ride I went on with my best friend. We rode the train from his house in Wheaton, Illinois, to downtown Chicago. It was the first train I had ever been on, probably a fifty minute ride. I remember sitting by the window watching the cities pass by. We went downtown to see the musical, Wicked, which was absolutely amazing. Afterward, we knew we were cutting it close to the last train's departure. Of course, we were about five blocks away from the trainstation and the train was leaving in two minutes, so we ran as fast as we could across downtown Chicago to catch our train. It was so fun and definitely the first thing I think about when I think of trains. This book brought me back to that memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment