Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Chair For My Mother by Vera B. Williams


I loved this book. I liked it right away because of the very clear, calm voice. Even in a tough situation, the book read as though everything was eventually going to be okay. I really appreciated how reassuring it was, and how patient this family was even in hard times.

I also had an incredibly personal connection to this story. Last summer, my dad quit his job and moved across country to buy a restaurant that was going bankrupt. He had always wanted to own a restaurant, and was willing to do anything to turn this one around. However, he had to give up many of the few comforts he had had with his former job. He moved into his new home with barely anything, including couches and chairs. The only place in the house we had where we could sit was the kitchen table, and my dad would come home so exhausted from work that he really needed somewhere where he could relax. My family really struggled that summer. I've never seen my dad so tired, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I tried to convince him to save his money for a boat and forget the couch. He thought it was funny.

It took us the rest of the summer to save enough money to buy a couch. It seems like such a simple thing, something that every house automatically has. When you don't have it, it becomes something you can really appreciate. This story took me back to last summer and my family's financial troubles. Millions of kids around the country can also relate to a tale like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment