Friday, April 10, 2009

George Washington's Teeth by Deborah Chandra & Madeleine Comora


Back to the historical fiction books apparently. I'm not quite sure what led me to selecting this book off the shelf. I felt like I had either read it before in one of my classes or that someone had recommended it to me. Either way, I had heard of the title, and maybe it was in search of where I had heard it that I picked this one up.

I thought it was a fun book. It depicts George Washington, a very serious character in American history, from a playful angle. We get to learn all about his teeth, which apparently were the cause of great pain for him. We see him in a vulnerable state that we never really hear about in school. And the book is all about teeth, which young elementary students have lots of experience with.

The book was simple, with an ABCB rhyme scheme that can really help beginning readers learn to decode words. They realize that the second and last lines have to rhyme, and they can use this clue to help them read words that would otherwise be somewhat advanced for them. This book also includes a real timeline in the back where students can learn about some of the great accomplishments of George Washington as well as some of the real dates in which his teeth were causing him trouble. This one would be kinda fun for kids in history class.

No comments:

Post a Comment