Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Un-Wedding by Babette Cole

I have to say I am somewhat sitting on the fence about this one. Maybe this blog will help me figure out my true feelings for The Un-Wedding by Babette Cole.

My first read of this book left me feeling somewhat disturbed. I found it insensitive. As a child of divorced parents, I can say firsthand that divorce is usually not something to be celebrated. In my family, there were no cakes and definitely no parties involved in the entire process. Instead there were arguments and tears and awkward moments with new families and cold distances and families spread across the country. This seemed like an inappropriate way to depict divorce to children.

However, I also understand the necessity of showing kids that divorce is usually for the better for the families that endure it. There are obviously reasons for the separation. Hopefully it is bringing about a better situation for the family and, ultimately, good things can come from it. I have developed a good relationship with my step-mom and have gained three step-siblings. And it shows kids that the nuclear family is not the only kind of family.

I guess I just coming back to the word "still." Even though it does all of these good things...is that enough? I think I am starting to hop over the fence toward not being okay with this book. I cannot get past the portrayal of divorce as a happy, celebratory time. It is unrealistic and insensitive to the parties involved. This one won't be appearing on my shelf.

4 comments:

  1. Em,
    I really appreciate how sincere you were about this book. I come from a HUGE family, and along with big families are lots of divorces. While I never went through it with my parents, so many of my cousins did. Because my cousins are more like siblings to me, I truely felt and understood what they were/are going through. I can understand your feelings about this book and think that the my cousins would totally rebel against a book like this. Thanks for being so willing to share your honest feelings about the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that this book is definitely completely unrealistic way of portraying divorce. Even though my parents are still together this book still angers me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really admire your honesty! my parents are just separated (although they probably might as well be divorced) but i don't think i was as troubled by the handling of the 'un-wedding' as you were. i guess i took it more as a fictional thing and not as an actual divorce. i think that might be the reason the author chose to use 'un-wedding' instead of divorce and i think she went waaaay out of her way to try to make it light-hearted. and i think that's what got her into trouble. so i guess what i'm saying is that i agree with you that this isn't the best book but i think there are a whole lot of other issues that make it so. this just was not a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked reading your thoughts on this one too. As a divorced person (no kids from that one) and a stepmom, I too have mixed feelings about this portrayal. Still, in its favor, I would suggest that making divorce a less threatening topic to talk about (as opposed to the hush hush treatment that it receives in most classrooms) wouldn't be a bad thing. Maybe we could laugh at this family a bit, and at least make the topic available? Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete