Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Misfits by James Howe

If I went to Paintbrush Falls Middle School, I'm pretty sure I would be a misfit, because these are the kids I would want to hang out with. Bobby was absolutely my favorite. His thoughts and though processes were so honest and genuine. He was who he was and, although this made him vulnerable, he did not deny himself. He was so strong and such a strong character - it was fun to get into his head to see what was really going on in there.

James Howe's use of sarcasm throughout the book was really fun, too. I was laughing out loud about some of the things that came out of the characters' mouths.

There was a lot of talk about the gay stereotypes used for Joe's character. My teacher said something that I could not get past. As a gay seventh grade student, there are not really a lot of choices as to how to act. Joe is really caught in a tough position. He realizes that being gay is not something that is openly accepted - in his town, in his school, and by his peers. He is lucky and has friends and family that are willing to support him no matter what. He shows them his identity and knows that, ultimately, they will still be there. Sure, he talks about RuPaul and Madonna. He could be a little bit deeper. But I think for a gay seventh grade boy, this is pretty believable.

I am still struggling to figure out how this is a controversial book. It does include homosexuality. However, homosexuals are not aliens. They are humans beings. Sure, they may lead a lifestyle you might not choose to endorse. This is not an excuse to pretend they do not exist. This book has such a good message about being truthful to yourself. It would be a shame to withhold it from the classroom because of a homosexual character. Honestly, it is hard for me to believe that things like this are still an issue in America in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment