Sunday, March 8, 2009

She Come Bringing Me That Little Baby Girl by Eloise Greenfield

Last controversial book for this series of blogs and I have to say that I am not unhappy about that. They're making me think a lot harder about different perspectives - how people read into the words on the page and how they might find offense in them.

It was pretty easy for me to figure out how people might take offense to this book. The boy in this book really wanted a baby brother that he could throw the football with. When his family brings home a new baby girl, he is highly upset. In fact, to me, the book takes this emotion too far. The new brother talks about how ugly the baby is, how he hates her. He avoids her and despises the way she is adored by the rest of his family. To me, the extent of his dislike is just a bit too far. It takes one step over the line. It is natural for kids to feel upset about a new baby. I just did not like how upset this boy became.

The book did redeem itself, though, when the boy finally holds his new sister. He realizes that he cares about the new baby and that, even though she is a girl, she might be fun to have around. He might even be able to throw the football to her.

I don't know about this one. I can't tell if it is controversial to me or if I just did not like it... I guess either way, it won't be one I run out to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment