Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Children's Lit Thoughts and Reflections

I have to say that all of my friends make fun of me about blogging. My roommate won't shut up about it. Maybe it's the stereotype that only really emotional kids with a lot of anger and resentment toward the world blog. (And maybe, disregarding our class, that's true. I don't really know. I'm not that into it.) So whenever I say I have to go blog, my roommate always says, "Oh how modern of you." I think it's pretty funny.

I am fully confident, though, that I enjoy blogging about three thousand times more than I would like writing a paper. I feel like I have way more creative freedom in this medium - I feel more open to tell my real feelings about the book, even if they are pretty bad. (Check out the Lemonade Club review for further details.) And I feel less pressured in writing in perfect English and perfect grammar. Which gets me thinking about using blogging in my classroom someday. Yeah...maybe I'll do that.

I'm glad that this class is actually making me get into a library to read books that might appear in my classroom. I have always loved reading, but obviously I haven't read kids books since I was a little kid. It's good for me to have an idea of what books to put in my classroom library, what books are appropriate for certain subjects and themes. I'm glad I have an excuse to go out there and get my hands on some children's literature. (Not that I really needed one before - I would hope that teaching is a good enough excuse.)

I think one thing I need to work on, though, is looking at different genres and types of books. I am kind of stuck in a rut of similar books. I need to be a little more adventurous in my choices. Another thing I struggle with at times is which books to pick up. I could just do the totally random guess - but then I worry that I'm missing out on a different really good book. I might try looking at some book lists online or something - not sure yet.

Well, it's 6:39, time to go to class. (That's one unfortunate thing about this class - it's kinda late and it makes me miss my fav. show, 30 Minute Meals. But I TiVo it so it's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment