Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ugly Fish by Kara LaReau & Scott Magoon

I feel like most childrens' books always present things as being pretty - it is rare to find a picture book with something "ugly" as the main focus. Of course, I think Ugly Fish is really cute, but that's beside the point. "Ugly" caught my eye right away. And once I saw the picture of Ugly Fish, I was hooked. (Ha, no pun intended.) I brought the book home to read with my roommate who loves loves loves fish. He kind of resembles Ugly Fish in a way, too. :) I digress.

I knew this was going to be a good book for me right away. The dedication reads, "For all the ugly fish swimming around out there- you know who you are." Already smiling, I proceeded to open the book. I love love loved this book. The pictures were simple and funny. The text was simple and funny. There's nothing more perfect for kindergartners.


Ugly Fish is a book to have fun with. Even the text formating is fun and interactive for kids. It swirls around the page, following Ugly Fish as he chases Kissy Fish, mouth open wide, eyes focused on his delicious snack. The words are repetitive, making it easy for kids to follow and giving them a pattern to enhance beginning reading.

I think I hit the jackpot with this book. At the very least, it was perfect for my roommate. We really enjoyed reading about Ugly Fish. It is a fresh approach to dealing with bullying set in a context of humor and sooooo cute fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment