Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oops by Arthurt Geisert


I am the most accident prone person I know. It's my combination of clumsy, awkward, and kind of spacey that really makes me prone to the most bizarre circumstances one could ever find herself in. I picked up this book simply based on the title. I knew immediately that I would have a strong connection to the book because "oops" - well, actually "oopsy" - is one of the most frequently used words in my vocabulary.

Fortunately for me, I have never been this unlucky. Everyone has heard of the phrase, "Don't cry over spilled milk." The family in this story has major reasons to disagree. One of the kids in the story innocently knocks over his glass of milk at dinner time. Rightly so, the family thinks nothing of it. Little do they know, this glass of spilled milk will probably cause major tears in the future. It leads to the complete destruction of their home.

I thought the premise for this story was really fun. It is imaginative and dramatic, so it is a blast for kids to see. Of course, the plot is so situational it makes the story completely out there. Had one object been moved slightly to the left or right, this disaster could have been avoided. That is something fun for kids to think about. In fact, my 20-year-old roommate still does this. He likes to make fun of the stupid situations I get myself into by going back and analyzing how the disaster could have been avoided had one small detail changed.

Oops is light and humorous. It is fun for kids (and adults) to allow their imaginations to wander into that "what if" place. What if a puddle of milk could really cause a house to be completely destroyed? Would milk be more expensive because it is incredibly dangerous? And would it have to be just milk? Would orange juice have the same effects or would they be lessened by the thinner beverage?

Could this happen to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment