Tuesday, February 17, 2009

If You Give a Cat a Cupcake by Laura Numeroff

Yes, I have chosen an "if you give a girl a gimmick" book, as my teacher would say. I can't help it - I'm in love. This book is the cutest thing in the whole world. Something about cats, my favorite animal in the whole world, and cupcakes (with sprinkles), my favorite food in the whole world, is completely irresistible to me. Come on. On the first page, the cat is flying in the air holding a cupcake in his tiny right paw - just complete elation. That cat is the happiest cat I have ever seen. It's great.

The first time I ever read this book was in front of two classes of completely hyper Kindergartners. I was there as an Iowa cheerleader and our mascot, Herky, was sitting criss cross applesauce on the carpet, poking fun at kids while I read. It could have been complete chaos. Anytime there is a giant, black and gold bird in the room adorned in football pads and jersey, there is the potential for stampedes, screaming, running, band-aids, pandemonium. I was lucky. Apparently I had chosen a good book. With thirty-some pairs of eyes upon me, (a few were still understandably hooked on Herky) I dove into the book.

The Kindergarteners and I followed a silly cat on his wandering dreams of cupcakes and swimtrunks on the beach, to kung-fu kitty and back all in the name of sprinkles and cupcakes. The story really reminded me a lot of the Stinky Face book I have already blogged about. Both are about imaginations running wild, one thing leading to another as the main character slides down a slippery slope of adventures until, finally, he makes his way back to home base. When I read the ending, "And chances are, if you give him some sprinkles..." I paused as I turned the last page. The kids all yelled "He'll want a cupcake to go with them!" before I could even open my mouth. Great story and audience participation all in one. Yep. I was in love.

2 comments:

  1. This was a great review (I also love these books--wish I would have thought of it!) So good to hear that you included a live reading with you description:) I'm glad that your book was able to cut through the chaos, but I'll bet your tecahing was part of this too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "If you give a_____ a ___- books. i think that they are super easy reads and the kids just crack up at them. I have read them in kindergarten rooms before and they really get into the stories.... great post!

    ReplyDelete